Thanks so much for being with us Sarah and for sharing your fresh insight!
"My main goals this year are to learn as much as possible working in the fitness industry and inspire as many people as I can!"
1. What was the driving force behind your decision to become a personal trainer?
During college I gained about 20 pounds. I knew I had to do something so I bought a few workout DVDs and instantly fell in love with working out. I loved the challenge of making my body stronger and the feeling of accomplishing workouts. I wanted to turn my passion for working out into a career of helping and inspiring others.
2. How did you choose which personal training agency to certify with?
I Googled a bunch of different certifications and talked to a few personal trainers I knew and they recommended ACE.
3. How did you prepare for the exam? Any tips, tricks, or best practices?
I studied a little bit every night after work. I would also study most of the weekends but give myself a day off. What helped me most was taking advantage of breaks at work. I would bring my study material with me and study on my fifteen minute breaks and during my lunch hour.
4. Could you give me an idea about what the testing day was like?
I always get nervous before exams but a friend told me to stay calm the day of the exam and visualize myself passing and starting my dream career. That helped a lot. The test went a lot quicker than I thought it would. Seeing PASS at the end was one of the best feelings ever!
5. How are you using the web/social media to build your online presence as a fitness professional?
I mostly use Twitter to try to motivate my followers. I also have a Facebook page where I post health-related articles and motivational pictures. I eventually want to start filming workout videos to post on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter.
6. Any health and fitness resources/research publications that you read daily or recommend? How else do you keep up with PT trends?
I love the articles on Fitsugar.com and Shape.com. I also love ToneItUp.com for workouts/recipes. I would like to get a subscription to Women’s Health and Shape magazine soon.
7. These days, there are a variety of places/ways to train—at a studio, in homes, in offices, and even online. Where do you see this certification taking you?
I am going to be applying to several gyms soon. I think that will be the best place to start my fitness career to gain experience and learn more about the industry. A friend of mine is taking her personal training exam sometime soon and we are planning to start our own business together in the future. With the ACE certification it is required to have 20 hours continuing education every two years so I will get my Group Fitness Instructor certification next.
8. What are your plans for using your certificate in the future? Any personal training goals for this year?
My plan is to motivate/inspire/help others to achieve their weight loss goals and live healthier happier lifestyles. I also want to start my own business with my friend within the next few years. My main goals this year are to learn as much as possible working in the fitness industry and inspire as many people as I can!
9. What advice would you give to someone like me who is just starting out and studying for the CPT exam?
Keep your goal in mind and take advantage of any free time you have. Use that time to study-and workout of course ;)
Thanks so much Sarah! Congratulations on passing your exam and good luck to you in your future in the fitness business. I look forward to seeing that pretty face on YouTube!
For more personal trainer insight, check out my interview with: